Monday, September 29, 2008

presents ... for me!

As promised, here are pictures of what I bought myself in the Chapel of the Holy Cross gift shop.



This is a hand-crafted Native American angel whose purpose is to protect me from a broken heart. If only it was that easy :)


The second piece I purchased was a hand-painted Mexican nativity. Growing up, my mom had what I considered to be a creepy nativity that she put out underneath the Christmas tree. We weren't supposed to play with it, but we did ... and I believe the black wiseman had to have his goatee glued on more than once. But really mom, I think the dog knocked him over! Anyway, a few years ago, my grandma turned me onto Talavera, a typeof brightly-painted Mexican pottery which I now collect. I also have a weird obsession with Dia de Los Muertos figurines. Anyway, I have been looking for a nativity that would suit my style, and when I saw this, I fell in love with it, but was afraid to ask the price. I stopped by again on my way out of town, only to learn it was $45!!! I was shocked at the low price and bought it then and there. I can't wait to put it out in December.

No comments: