Sunday, November 30, 2008

gobble, gobble

This year marked only the third time in my adult life that I did not have to travel for Thanksgiving. The other two times consisted of my family coming down here, which was nice, but still hectic. This year, I made the decision to stay in LA for a number of reasons, and while I was wary of it at first, it ended up being one of the nicest Thanksgivings yet! After the Turkey Trot, Stephanie and I headed to my dad's in South Pasadena. It was a small group (only four of us), but we had a nice time eating, drinking, and watching football. The highlight of the day was my dad's new infrared turkey fryer. Basically, it's a deep fryer, that uses light instead of oil, and runs on propane. It is similar to a deep fryer in looks and cooking time.

My dad brined the turkey overnight, and then ... in he went!

Only two short hours later, the turkey was done. The fryer was hot to the touch, but other than that, no mess!

After he sat on the counter for awhile, and I picked off some of his skin (NO ... not the big missing piece!), we carved him up and he tasted just like an authentic deep-fried turkey ... crispy skin on the outside and moist meat on the inside.

The only downside ... you can't deep-fry a Snickers with one of these. Hmm, decisions, decisions.


No comments: