Sunday, June 7, 2009

me? 31? no!

As if staring 30 in the face wasn't bad enough, this year I had to accept the fact that I was no longer just "30," but rather "in my 30s." Yuck! However, instead of dealing with this ugly, nonsensical fact, I chose to ignore it by escaping to San Diego with six of my girlfriends where we could dance the night away to 80s music. Soungs logical, no?

After arriving at our hotel, the lovely Embassy Suites San Diego, we walked to the Gaslamp District for lunch and then swam/laid in the sun for the afternoon. As the afternoon wore on, we took turns showering and then in a continued effort to deny our advanced age, we played a mature game of "I've Never," in which the punishment was drinking rum and coke out of a coffee carafe ... classy AND fun!

Finally around 10pm came the moment we, er I, had been waiting for - Tainted Love, aka the greatest 80s cover band EVER, took the stage. Oh wait, let me back up. I happen to have a very mature and understated crush on the band's guitarist, who goes by the stage-name Chi Chi. Since it was my birthday, I decided to live it up and ordered a custom "I *heart* Chi Chi" shirt to wear to the concert. While waiting for the band to take the stage, a security guard came up to me and handed me something ... and that something happened to be an autographed Tainted Love cd that stated "Nice Shirt! Chi Chi." *Swoon*

Once the show started, I recieved not only a happy birthday greeting from the band, but Chi Chi dedicated his (one and only) song "Sunglasses at Night" to me. I swear to god, I felt like I was 13 and at a New Kids on the Block Concert. Chi Chi really is the best!

But you know what, as cheesy as it seems, this birthday was one of my best because it involved some of my most-cherished girlfiends, laughter, good music, and dancing. So what if it was a little immature? Sometimes, I think we could all use a little more immaturity in our lives :)

No comments: