Saturday, January 22, 2011

even dogs like christmas!

I am a sucker for Christmas. I love to decorate, listen to Christmas music, discover new crafts ... and buy presents for pretty much every one I know, including dogs.

My mom has two dogs, Riley and Mae, who really believe I am their sister. My mom's boyfriend Lester, henceforth referred to as Mo, also has two dogs ... Poppy and Pea, who would like you to believe that she was abused in her former life. And I would be remiss if I did not mention my niece Abby, see gratuitous cute picture below.


This year, instead of getting them all toys which they would destroy, ignore, or lose in their already huge pile of current toys, I decided to bake them dog treats. The idea came to me while browsing through the aisles of Cookin' Stuff, my favorite local cooking supply store. Cookin' Stuff has bins upon bins of cookie cutters and I found a dog bone I thought I could do something cute with.

After googling "homemade dog biscuits," I was surprised to find hundreds of recipes. After doing some research, I settled on the following recipe:


First I mixed together 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups white flour.


I then added my dry mixture to 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1 cup milk - and then beat it all together in my KitchenAid.


I then took the mixture and rolled it into 1/4 inch thick sheets, and then using my bone cookie cutter, cut out the cookies.
After only 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven, they came out perfect! One back made nearly 60 treats, enough for everyone to have ten cookies each. I forgot to take photos of the dogs enjoying their gifts, but trust me, they did!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Love! Totally stealing!

Anonymous said...

My little baby puppy looks a little demonic!!! She ate all her treats...even I tried them.