Tuesday, October 13, 2009

secrets

I absolutely adore being Kate's godmother. I know she's only 14 months, and while she does think I am cool, she also thinks the giant red ball-like blocades outside of Target are cool. So I guess for now, it's more me thinking she's cool.

This weekend, I went over to play with Kate and Jack because I hadn't seen them in two weeks, which is a long time in our little world. When I arrived, Kate and Jack were napping so Felicia and I caught up. Then we could hear Kate talking to herself so Felicia got up and I could hear here saying, "Guess who is here??? Auntie Andy!"

Within a few minutes, I could hear two little feet running down the hall and then a little munchkin voice saying "Hiiiiiiii!" before she ran to me and insisted on getting up in my lap. We spent the next four hours playing and giggling and shopping online. Don't worry - Jack got PLENTY of attention too!

At the end of the night, as she was getting ready to go to bed, Kate came around and gave each of us a goodnight kiss. And while I watched her toddle off to bed, I started to miss her. I love when she wants me to hold her ... I love when she puts her hands on my cheeks and stares at me, smiling ... I love when she wants to wear my jewelry ... I love when I am sitting on the ground talking and she walks over and just plops down between my legs and just hangs ... and I love when I give her raspberries on her stomach and she can't breathe she is laughing so hard.

There is something special to me knowing that she is my goddaughter - like it's this secret we share, and will share forever.

No comments: