Thursday, February 28, 2008

i love wine ... part 2

On day two of our Paso Robles journey, Allison, Diana, and I decided to take our time driving back to LA, and stop at a few wineries we like. While it was windy, we didn't get much rain and took our time enjoying the company, wine, and scenery.

Winery #1 - Tobin James

Tobin is probably one of the most well-know/popular Paso Robles wineries, and it's for a reason. They are so laid back and very friendly. Our host, Seth, poured us whatever we wanted on the tasting-room menu, and then allowed us to taste several of their reserve wines. The crowning moment through was when (after considerable whining on my part) he opened a bottle of their sparkling wine for us to try. And did I mention that all of this was complimentary???!!! The tasting room is an old "cowboy" saloon and they have a nice gift shop. I cannot recommend this place enough ... good people, good ambiance, and good wine. The trifecta.


Winery #2 - Clautiere




My friend Adam (shout-out Adam!) recommended Clautiere and there's a reason for that. It's a small, relatively new winery, but their wines are great and the atmosphere is out of this world! The winery is owned by a husband and wife and the wife has decorated the winery in a sort of drag-queen-meets-Moulin-Rouge style. We were the only three people there at the time and our two hostesses were students at neighboring Cal Poly SLO so we had a great time chatting. I bought a bottle of Mon Rouge - and of course we took the obligatory wig picture ... if you visit there, you'll know what I'm talking about!

Winery #3 - Rancho Sisquoc

After clam chowder in Pismo Beach, our final stop before heading home was Rancho Sisquoc, located just outside of Santa Maria. Diana and I have come to know their wines through Whole Foods and we both enjoy them so this stop was a must. It's a bit off the freeway, and then another ways past their official entrance. The ranch is huge and has mulitple vineyards. Everything we tasted was amazing and again, we all walked away with multiple bottles. It was windy while we were there, but they have a gorgeous picnic are that I want to test out the next time I am there.

In the end, we had such a great time and I fell in love with so many new wines. Of course, I am a huge fan of Napa, but they are getting more and more expensive, overcrowded with tour buses ... and I swear, you never get to have the owner pour for you. Paso Robles was the total and complete opposite and if you haven't done so alreaday, I encourage you to check it out. Hell, I'll even go with you :)

No comments: