Wednesday, January 27, 2010

priceless

One of my biggest regrets in life is that I never studied abroad. I always so intent on graduating in four years ... okay, my parents were too since USC is not known as a bargain school .. that I never made time for it. My friend Emily on the other hand spent almost two years abroad in both Costa Rica and Spain.

I was lucky enough to visit her in Spain and we had such a great time ... we visited Madrid, Valencia, Tarragona, Barcelona, and Granada. To this day, Spain remains one of my favorite countries.

Apart from the Alhambra, one of the most-visited sites in Granada (located in the south of Spain) is the Sacromonte neighborhood, famous for its flamenco dancers. While visiting there, I came across a street vendor selling personalized paintings of flamenco dancers and matadors. I instantly fell in love with them and bought one to take home with me.


The poster cost me $1.50 - the framing was close to $300, but almost ten years later, it is still one of my favorite pieces of art I own. I don't know why ... the colors, the sound of the Spanish text at the bottom, the memories associated with it? I just know that everytime I look at it, it makes me smile.


Last weekend, I hung it up in my new bedroom and it reminded me that this purchase was the best $1.50 I've ever spent.

No comments: