Thursday, March 17, 2011

irish sweet "potatoes"

Growing up, my mom would buy St. Patty's day "Spuds" from Sees Candy. This year, she saw an article detailing how to make a homemade version and knowing how much I like to bake, sent it to me. They were so fun and easy to make!

Step 1: Beat 4 tablespoons each softened unsalted butter and cream cheese with 1 teaspoon vanilla and ¼ teaspoon salt until pale and fluffy. Please note: I doubled the recipe.

Step 2: Mix in 1 pound powdered sugar and 2 cups chopped walnuts until smooth. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Step 3: Roll dough (1 tablespoon each) between your hands. Shape into “potatoes.” Roll in cinnamon and brush off excess with a pastry brush.

Step 4: To create “eyes,” stick in walnut pieces (I didn't do this step). Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

No comments: